Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Heartbeat of the Earth

We used to live 25 minutes from the ocean. More square footage and a backyard moved us a bit farther away. I have been to the water three times this month for some photography work. It has reminded me of how much I miss being as close as we used to be. There is something so calming about the crash of the waves. There is something so serene about the families playing in the sand. There is something so ethereal about the heartbeat of the earth.
A long time ago my girlfriend, Rachelle, gifted me a book called, Gift From the Sea, by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. The preface reads,
"The beach is not a place to work; to read, write or think. I should have remembered that from other years. Too warm, too damp, too soft for any real mental discipline or sharp flights of spirit. One never learns. Hopefully on carries down the faded straw bag, lumpy with books, clean paper, long over-due unanswered letters, freshly sharpened pencils, lists, and good intentions. The books remain unread, the pencils break their points, and the pads rest smooth and unblemished as the cloudless sky. No reading, no writing, no thoughts even- least not at first.
At first, the tired body takes over completely. As on a shipboard, one descends into a deck-chair apathy. One is forced against one's mind, against all tidy resolutions, back into the primeval rhythms of the sea-shore. Rollers on the beach, wind in the pines, the slow flapping of herons across sand dunes, drown out the hectic rhythms of city and suburb, time tables and schedules. One falls under their spell, relaxes, stretches out prone. One becomes, in fact, like the element on which one lies, flattened by the sea; bare, open, empty as the beach, erased by today's tides of all yesterday's scribblings."
Today's tides...yesterday's scribblings...isn't that gorgeous prose...something to think about. I remembered these words during my shoot last Saturday and thought I would share them with you. May you enjoy the sand between your toes and drink in the ocean air the next time you are near it...
I had the opportunity to photograph and spend some time with my friend Shannon and her little family.
I have known Shannon for a few years now. In fact we used to be neighbors for a while. We became good friends quickly and now share a great deal of emphathy for one another. In fact there were rumors of a move for her family; thoughts of maybe moving closer to us. My heart beats faster with excitement thinking they will be close to us again.
Shan and Brian have a really great relationship. In fact when we are together I always observe them laughing and joking with one another; it is refreshing.
They really are so good and playful together.
This isn't crisp, but I loved the emotion in it. So candid and care-free!!
I couldn't get enough of the kissing moments with these two...
A favorite:
For you Shan...;)
I attribute their great realtionsip to the amount of time they get to spend with one another and as a family. Brian's job allows him to be home for a great portion of each week; that is such a gift. Just a random statistic I learned this semester: most children will spend more time with their teachers than their dads and in some cases both their parents. Sad, huh? That won't be the case with Bri and his boys.
Brian is an excellent person; when we moved to our new house he and Shannon spent the entire day with us moving our things and helping us get unpacked. (Shannon was 8 months pregnant at the time.) We were so appreciative of that act of service. Brian has a kind heart and a geniune spirit.
He's a surfer too. I have found most people who spend time with the heartbeat of the earth to be mellow and easy going. My theory proves true with him. ;)
Shannon has been a good friend to me on so many levels. She has watched Gunnar for me countless times and without hesitation. She has feed my family when I was ill or just because. She even picked up a prescription for me so I wouldn't have to do it. She is thoughtful and honest. I appreciate those qualities in a friend. She is also a very smart woman who is using her resources to help support her family; I admire that too. She is a teacher by degree, something else we have in common, but is taking some time away to be with her boys.
She subs when she feels like it and is an entrepreneurial mom; she has a successful scrapbooking business. I wish I had an ounce of her creativity and patience to make the gorgeous things she does. In fact, her Christmas card this year will be saved and possibly framed. It will be way too beautiful to use as scrap paper after the season is over.
She always listens when I need and ear, and she shows great compassion and empathy.
Gunnar and their first born, Braden, are good friends. They play really well together. In fact it is super nice when they are together; I hardly see them or hear them. They are sweet little friends.
Isn't he darling?
Their youngest, Tanner, is the epitome of an easy baby. I am so jealous...He has the most tender personlity.
So lucky to have a brother...
Super relaxed and unposed moment; I loved it!!
Shan, Bri, and boys- Thanks for the time at the beach and the time together. It was nice to catch up and chat for a bit. Thanks for Pedros too; delicious!! Bri, may you always enjoy the tide! Brae and Tan, may you play nicely together. ;) Shan, may you continue sharing your creativity and understanding spirit with others. We are so grateful for the love and support you always show our family. Thank you for your friendship. xoxo Kam

3 comments:

Bethany said...

What sweet friends! You have some great shots here!! I love the second one to the last...of them walking away on the beach. Love the cropping, the processing...all of it! I am not so much a beachy kind of girl (remember I am from Kansas!!), but seeing these shots makes me want some family photos of us on the beach!

Good job Kamee!

Becca said...

Hey Kam, how are you? Are you feeling any better? Getting any sleep? Was Thanksgiving kind to you? I remember your post last year with your dining room getting painted by Jaren. It was beautful. May I have a Pottery Barn dining room like that some day. So, on to questions. How did you shoot the 10th picture down that looks like it's spinning but the center is in focus? Any thoughts?

Kimberly said...

Kamee,

I always think your pictures are amazing. It is fun having met the family to see how perfectly you seem to capture the essence of who they are. I love this! I have always thought your talent unique to the fact that you are perceptive of personalities. While this may be true I stand corrected in my assumptions...you take amazing pictures period. The fact that you can capture landscape/scenery is evidence of this. Such great pictures...FUN!!!